Wednesday, June 29, 2005

When is objectification obliteration?

At what point does the iconozation of a thing render it no longer the thing that it was? Take celebrities, for instance. They are expected to act a certain way, dress a certain way, talk a certain way, socialize with the right people. Doesn't this, in essence, render them unable to actually be who/what they are/were? I mean, if they actually succumb to it (rare cases do not, but again, rare).

Or the body. When do body parts cease to be a product of their function, and more a projection of some sort of ideal? Do all the Chelsea boys REALLY need to be that cut? I mean, there's healthy and then there's pretty. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I object or feel strongly one way or the other. It's the question that bothers me. It's the why, not the what. It's the who, not the where.

But when?

0 What'd you say?

Post a Comment

<< Home