Sunday, July 23, 2006

No One Here But Us Chickens

I've been doing some thinking lately, and in doing that thinking, I've realized this blog has taken on a theme, as it were, that I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with it having anymore. Too personal, too revealing and most of all, not the repository of wit and commentary that I had initially created it for. So I want to get back to the basics: seeing things in the world and in my life and commenting on their ridiculousness/irony/hilarity/lameness with perhaps some insight into why I find topics to be those things. Less information driven. Let's see how this plays out...

So, while I'm sure this has been covered in a multiple of venues, I have something to say about it:



Some commentary I have read has suggested the "move" was sexual harassment, others just plain camaraderie. I think neither. While not necessarily demeaning, the impromptu invasion of the Chancellor's personal space is at best belittling. It's a "there, there dear, don't worry your pretty little head over it," kind of interaction, that, while perhaps appropriate among friends, is never appropriate between freaking heads of state. I would still find it inappropriate if it were Bush & Blair instead of Bush and the Chancellor. Every interaction between heads of state is painstakingly mapped out by people whose jobs depend on getting it right, and it just goes to show the level of ineptitude our president wallows in that this event happened at all. And it's clearly not a situation of it "being caught on tape." The Chancellor's reaction shows that this kind of interaction is not par for the course in their relationship.

My recommendation: The president should sign up for some political savviness classes at his local community college. And perhaps a sensitivity course along the way. If he can pass the entrance exam.

0 What'd you say?

Post a Comment

<< Home