Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Have you kissed your inner Thespian today?

Woke with an INCREDIBLE hangover, but my attendance to Kilee's dress rehearsal for "Much Ado About Nothing" was NOT to be denied! After showering and dressing up a bit, I grabbed the coffee that Frank, in his infinite wisdom, had brought home for me after dropping Torre off at school, and walked up to Kilee's school.

I found the auditorium/lunchroom and took a seat in the back and Kilee came over when he saw me. After reminding me that when at school, his name is Kyle, not Kilee, his teacher (whom I also believe was the director of the play) asked him if he had someone he wanted to introduce to the class.

Kilee: "This is my Aunt Brenda."
Class: "Hi, Aunt Brenda!"

Okay, after having a weird out-of-body experience where I was suddenly in some preteen self-help program, I shook my head free of the remaining hangover cobwebs. Kilee came back over and said, "They all think you're pretty." Which you'd think is just about the smooshiest thing ever! But it gets better - so he gives me a big hug and kiss and goes back to the stage where they're all getting ready. A bunch of other classes file in (noisily, I might add, but then that could also be the hangover talking) and take their seats on the floor. A young girl passes me a program (A program! Yay! Because it's not like I'm a packrat or anything). And the performance commences.



Kilee starred as Claudio, one of the lovestruck suitors in the play. And he rocked! He projected, he had stage presence, he knew all his lines, he danced! I took lots of pictures and giggled at their ability to boil down "Ado" to it's very (very) barest essence. An awesome time was had.

And, before I knew it, the play was over. I waited for all the other kids to file out, and then it was time for me to go. I went over to Kilee and he gave me a big hug and kiss again and said, "I love you, Aunt Brenda." Right in front of his classmates, his peers. I sort of teared up, because there was such an innocent generosity (as always) with Kilee's emotions, but also his complete unselfconsciousness about it. It overwhelmed me. And it really made something very clear to me that I think I lost track of.

Love. True love, unadulterated pure love is the MOST important thing in the world. In my world. More than attraction or money or success or health or work or anything. More than sex. More than food. That precise moment of knowledge when I said to myself, "THIS is what I want from my life. Love."

And I have it. It's been right in front of me. I just had to get my head out of my ass.



Kilee, take a bow. You deserve it.

3 What'd you say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

testify!

11:18 AM, May 10, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kyle's got some smooth-ass moves all up ins. I can't help but think of something about "out of the mouth of babes," or some such tosh. Kyle's a stand up guy.

1:34 PM, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, sweet sissy, for giving me a glimpse of my son that I would not have had otherwise. No wonder my clan of boys adore you.

4:54 PM, May 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home