Monday, May 08, 2006

The Day After...Tomorrow

Sunday was a lazy, lazy day, with lots of sitting around in jammies, reading the paper:






Yes, I was reconstituted as a frog. Yes, I sit that way all the time. Yes, I'm weird.

There was a big nap involved in my afternoon, but in the evening we watched Rent. Now, since I had never seen the musical to begin with (I know, I know, it's almost sacrilege, but true), I was pretty much in for a treat. What I didn't know is that it would inspire a new song! Yay!

Where does your love go
When love dies
Is it in a place
I just can't find
Who can fill the vacancy
That's left behind
Where does your love go
When your love dies

Who will take the blame
Now that you have gone
Find another way
To carry on
How many sleepless nights will pass
Another dawn
Where does your love go
When your love's gone

Another beer, another cigarette
I'm trying to forget
What once was real; a disappearing act
Our fiction was a fact
That I believed
I was deceived
How was I to know you wouldn't stay with me
Forever

How do you let go of what's
In the past
Can you live each moment
as if the last
Who will keep the memories
From fading fast
Where does your love go
When your love's past

Where does your love go
When it's reached the end
Is it in some place
We can't comprehend
Why can't we go back in time and
Just pretend
That when your love's gone
It's not the end

Another beer, another cigarette
I'm trying to forget
What once was real; a disappearing act
The fiction was our fact
And I believed
I have been so deceived
How was I to know you weren't meant to stay
Forever

*and probably some sort of reprise/ending/thingy - don't have piano here, so working this all out in my head.

The inspiration came from [SPOILER ALERT: if you haven't seen RENT or La Boheme or Moulin Rouge or any other number of permutations of this story line, stop reading this post NOW!] the sequence where Angel dies and Collins is left behind, alone. I just thought it was a really powerful idea: what happens to your feelings/emotions when the object of them is gone. It doesn't necessarily have to apply to death, but that's at least where this particular POV came from.

This is only the first pass at these lyrics, by the way. I'm sure I'll post this and then look at it in two days and scream my bloody head off.

1 What'd you say?

Blogger Unknown said...

That last part of the song is my favorite bit. "The fiction was our fact." I know I'm bound to say it, but it's Costellian in its simple irony. This song is going to be a slow, nagging burn and I can't wait to hear it.

11:44 PM, May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home