Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The day that never was...

So Friday as a day virtually did not exist for me...because I slept for most of it! I woke up when Jaime and Jared left for work, was up for about two hours, and then slept like a cat until about 3:30 or so. Ridiculous! But so comfy! Once awake and showered, I pilfered some Diet Coke and took my laptop and cigs out to the back porch. That was when I had internet (it wasn't to last). Around 5:30 Jared & Jaime got home, and it was out to the bars!!!

First stop: Cupka's (pronounced chup-kuhz) where I had a McCupka. That's right: all beef patty, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun. Hysterical! I also partook of a lovely Hoegaarden, being that there was no Harp (also, the excuse for last night's Yuengling).

Next stop: Smoking Joe's, which carries over 200 beers. THEY had Harp. I had Harp. It was delicious, but the spot was boring and we had nowhere to sit (and you all know what a diva I am).

Third stop: Dee's.



It's as rundown as it sounds - and perfect. Pretty crappy pool tables, but for $6/hour, it's a steal. Plus have I mentioned how ridiculously cheap Pittsburgh prices are? I got an Iron City (that's right, reckanize), a shot of Jameson's and a Captain & Coke for $8. Eight dollars!!!




My cousin Mark and his girlfriend Shelly showed up, and much pool playing ensued. Unfortunately, I was pretty off my game that night, so the egos of my male family members survived unscathed...for now.





Fourth stop: I can't remember the name. I was still itching to drink and play pool, and my brother and his girlfriend were itching to crawl into bed (being that they were up at 7 AM, not 3:30 PM), so I split off and checked it out, being that there was a pool table right in the front window. A deserved honor. This bar had Harp in the bottle, at least, so I ordered that and, mais bien sur, a Jameson's. When the bartender asked if I wanted one or two fingers I knew I was in the right place.

I got to play several games with the lovely owner and his girlfriend, who were both quite good, being that they also play APA (albeit in the 'Burgh, which means they're probably severely under ranked).



Good times were had, bar was closed down, I went walking home.

Where a really sweet thing happened - I was walking probably about 3/4 of a block behind a huge group of people when a guy from a smaller group I was passing came over and said, "Are you trying to catch up to them?" When I assured him no, he replied, "Okay, just wanted to make sure you were okay." Only in the 'Burgh, my friends.

1 What'd you say?

Blogger benzado said...

I just moved from Pittsburgh to New York about two months ago. I used to work on the South Side and would occasionally go to Cupka's Cafe for lunch. Now I miss the McCupka, so much so that I just typed its name into Google, hoping that, I don't know, maybe Google would make me one, but instead I make the shocking discovery that you are the ONLY PERSON ON THE WHOLE INTERNET to ever use the word "McCupka".

2:06 PM, November 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home