Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time takes time, you know

I've apparently decided to be maudlin tonight about my aging. And the fact that I can't stop it. Time, that is. Can't stop it. No stopping it. Keeps rolling like a river... to the sea.

I was looking up an older actress I'm going to be working with soon. Doing the old internet image search. Found a picture of her with three smart looking young things. Now, mind you, she looked great, but she was stuck next to three haven't found a single wrinkle young 'uns. It's just so unfair. Because I'm pretty sure that the same age as them her would kick each of them so swiftly to the curb.

Which brings up the crux of this petty subject: why the hell is so much of my self esteem, ego, personality, indeed my very self, wrapped up in how good I look? This is not a post to elicit the "oh, doll, you look fantastic don't worry" replies. I know I look good. Now. But how long is that going to last? When am I going to no longer be among the most desirable girls in the room? It's probably happened already and I don't even know it. This all sounds completely egotistical, but when so much of who you are is wrapped up in and validated by how attractive other people perceive you to be, then I don't know.

I'm curious as to when the shift to this hotness based ego happened. I mean, in high school I was definitely not considered attractive and I knew that. So at what point did my id make the transition to valuing this above all else. I get horrified at growing older, at sagging, wrinkling, chunking out. It's really patently unfair. And somewhat pathetic. I should have more going on than that.

I think perhaps it's time to develop some other personality traits.

Labels: , , ,

1 What'd you say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good God, woman, this is so sad. As a red-blooded man who has known you for many years, I'm very familiar with your delightful physical attributes. But what always set you apart, at least in my eyes, was your intelligence and various talents. The years will continue to unfold in front of you, true, but while a wrinkle will pop up here and there, your smarts and abilities will only deepen. Not speculation on my part; I was older than you are now when we first met, and I can assure you that you have some great things to look forward to. Being an average-looking man, I never had to deal with the loss of beauty, but I can tell you that while it's powerful currency, only personality and character will hold someone's interest/love. I know you'll pass through this, but IMHO you've got more going for you than 99% of the ladies I've ever met. And when we hoist a few 20 years from now, I'm sure I'll feel the same way.

3:33 AM, April 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home