Monday, June 09, 2008

Ain't it awful, the heat, ain't it awful?

(a lovely line from the Kurt Weil opera, Street Scene, and a very appropriate one for today)

If there's one topic that people can talk about freely, across generations, sexual orientations, gender gaps and political bents it's the weather. You can complain, commiserate, marvel or curse it. You can reminisce about past weather, fantasize about future weather (oh, Wednesday, will you ever get here) or just bask in a shared opinion about the current weather. Discussing the weather never led to a bar fight that I know of, and has likely been the opening line in quite a few nascent relationships. Weather - it's what's for dinner!

The best part is, for most of us, the subject is completely unpredictable. Sure, sure, there are meteorologists and the local weather pinup guys and gals (I swear, complete dental coverage MUST come with that job). But, really, how often are any of them correct. Or even close to correct. Which makes it a great topic! I mean, there is no right answer. Think about the arguments that surround any broaching of topics in politics, religion, sports. That's because everyone has an opinion, and by God, their's is the right one and if only you would get your head out of your ass to see it.

No one argues about the weather. So in spite of the relentless agonizing heat that has trapped me in my air-conditioned room like some prisoner (it's small enough, as rooms go, to really give you that ole jailbird magic), I like the weather. And the good news is that it won't stay this way forever.

Oh, wait. Right. Global warming.

Le sigh.

Labels: ,

2 What'd you say?

Blogger Monsoon said...

Hey! It is fucking brilliant to see you here again, writing that is. I "gave up" checking your blog, but then I did today, and here you were. Yay! I adore your writing, and I am totally jealous of you living in NY, despite the warmth. When I was there on holidays in July 1999, I melted. I am telling you; I practically melted. It was roasting, and there was a heatwave at the time, with temperatures way over 100. One day had 113. One of the days I saw through the window that there was a draft outside. That left me happy, as I thought; AIR!!! But that lasted until I came outside and it felt like a fan heater on my face. Yikes!! So I feel sorry for you if the radiator is crap and the heat is intolerable.

I enjoyed all your new posts! Keep writing. Are you on facebook?

Well, I hope you aren't too unwell, and enjoying yourself!

Hugs from Monsoon in Norway :-)

11:08 AM, June 22, 2008  
Blogger Terry said...

I'm a native Texan, so I can relate to you about the heat. Funny thing is, when I was a kid growing up, I hated it. Now I don't mind it as much, especially the nights. Something almost electric about a warm, sultry night. All that aside, cold AC is a true godsend.

7:26 PM, July 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home